Tuesday 17 May 2011

Day 6: Osoyoos: Lazing in the Sun


We are tired (see above picture), Ginny’s bike is ill and needs a new wheel, so the powers at be say we stay here and relax in our first real sunny day. This is a good chance to report on my ongoing research project. This is a qualitative study to determine which animal species respond to my squeaky toy bike horn. The results so far: Dogs are most inclined to response, they stop barking and look confused… a good thing. Donkeys and horses are attentive to it as well and at times will run toward it. Deer stop upon hearing the horn. For cows, it seems to depend on age. Baby calfs run to their mother, young cows are attentive and it does not seem to have much impact on older cows (they continue to eat or stare). As for bears, they could not care less (Ginny did not think it was a good idea to squeak at the bear, but it obviously came out ok). Up to now I have not had the opportunity or capability to interview the study participants, this is purely an observational study. Am looking forward to trying new species (there is a squirrel around camp and I missed the lamas as we were speeding by on the downhill).

Location:68 Ave,Osoyoos,Canada

2 comments:

  1. I think this study has real potential. I look forward to hearing further results. Have you thought of comparing the reactions to your horn versus other horns or bells in your party? I think that would be a rather interesting angle to look at. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very excited by your progress but sorry ginny's bike is acting up. Let us know if you need anything couriered. We have connections to exploit. I will try to graph your statistical ups and downs (if you send me elevations) I think you may need an index of daily satisfaction (a bike version of gross warpotay happiness).

    ReplyDelete