Wednesday 8 June 2011

On the Road at Last

So just in case anyone out there was worried about how I would make out (though it seems I was most concerned about my readiness) put your fears aside - I'm off to a flying start. Or really, I should say drizzly start, because when I rolled out of Lorax at 9AM on Monday morning, NS gave me a good old fashion cool, cloudy, drizzly day. But after all the stories of pouring rain from the team out west, I wasn't going to let a little drizzle get in the way of my first ride, and sure enough, my optimism soon won and by the time I reached Gaspereau the rain was gone. and as the day progressed, it just got better, staying cool but with some nice sun at times.

In the end, I left my GPS at home (first time on a trip without one in a long time!) so I could't accurately gauge my progress, but given that I had no idea how "in shape" and ready I was, I pushed the pedals slow and steady, and foud myself a St. Croix by noon - halfway, I'm zooming! Then the scary looking hill on the elevation profile at Newport Corner never showed up, I was puffing a bit as I pushed up a decent climb in 1-3 but when I starte down the otherside, I realized it was done. Not bad, not only can I ride flat, I can climb! (Disclaimer - it's no Rocky Mountains I know, they'd do a lot more damage to me for sure, but I'm joining the team on the Prairies so no worries). After that, it was a nice smooth gradual descent into Sackville over gently rolling hills, and at 2:30PM I rolled into Terri's. 95km, around 5 hours on the saddle - not bad! Took a last advantage of luxuray life (hot shower, laundry, a full fridge/pantry) feeling happy, and not even too sore/tired. Thank god for wheels, I wouldn't want to carry my bike anywhere (can barely lift it!), but pedaling isn't bad.

I didn't pay so much attention to the scenery as I was concentrating on getting into rythym and seeing how well I could cycle, as well as the fact that it's good old NS - a route I know well. But still, the valley is gorgeous all decked out in a fresh, tender green coat, lilacs and chestnut trees in full bloom, the Minas Basin and the endless mudflats just off to the side, and I'm sure I'll miss it as we roll through Northern Ontario. But for now, I'm looking forward to the flat lands - Regina here I come!

Cheers,
~ Shane

Distance: 95km
Time on bike: 5hrs
Average speed: 19km/hr
Distance from Lorax: 95km
Start time: 9:00am
End time: 2:30pm
Elevation change: +950/-1150m

No comments:

Post a Comment